Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Blue Like Jazz

Donald Miller with an insightful observation on intellectual faith struggles:

"I don't really do that anymore. Sooner or later you just figure out that there are some guys who don't believe in God and they can prove He doesn't exist, and some other guys who do believe in God and they can prove He does exist, and the argument stopped being about God a long time ago and now its about who is smarter, and honestly I don't care."

I'm about halfway through Blue Like Jazz, and I'm finding it pretty good- quite thought provoking, but his writing style irks me sometimes. All in all, its doing a reasonable job of living up to the hype...

1 comment:

Kat said...

I really enjoyed it eh. (Notably I was oblivious to the hype at the time of reading it - which I point out just to try and avoid any accusations of being mainstream :p) Writing style and all. I liked the feeling of being chatted to, and the apparent randomness of his changes of direction and tangents (oh so postmodern), and found him quite pleasantly poetic at times.

Having been falling deeper and deeper into aloof cynicism regarding spiritual things over a period of a few years, I found it quite refreshingly honest, and like a doorway back into a kind of spirituality I didn't have to be embarassed about. So yeah, those were my impressions :) The next one's pretty good too.